5 Takeaways From ‘Plan B’ on Hulu
Blog Entry # min read
If you haven’t watched Plan B on Hulu, you’re in for a wild trip, literally.
The movie follows Sunny and her BFF Lupe navigating their high school lives as everyone around them starts dating, hooking up, and become sexually active. While Sunny’s mom is away, she throws a party and has sex for the first time with one of her classmates and finds herself needing a Plan B. What unravels is a coming of age story of friendship, love, and access to birth control.
There’s so much to say about Plan B but here are some of the biggest takeaways from the film.
- Knowing the Law Helps Us Know What We’re Getting Into – Every state is different when it comes to laws. When we saw Sunny and Lupe at the pharmacy counter asking for Plan B, we found out about the conscience clause in South Dakota. The state of reproductive healthcare is always changing, and most times, we’re not always thinking about it, especially the morning after inside a CVS. But staying up to date and informed can help us know what were getting into.
- Do You Boo! – Regardless of what other people are doing, do what makes you feel comfortable. In high school and college, it can look like everyone is hooking up. But just because everyone is doing it, doesn’t mean you also have to. It’s all about doing things on your terms and owning it!
- Houston, We Have a Sex ED Problem – Raise your hand if your sex ed class was just abstinence. If you’ve been in a high school like Sunny and Lupe, you know that not everyone is going down the abstitnence route. Inclusive sex ed is essential in helping us destigmatize sex and help us develop healthy relationships with sex. You’re already ahead of the game by checking out our website.
- Having That Conversation Is All We Need – SPOILER ALERT – Whether it’s with a parent, a friend, or a doctor, having conversations on birth control is necessary for all of us to have. Sunny was scared to talk about her situation with her mom, however, she was able to understand and helped her buy a Plan B in the end.
- Having a Homegirl You Can Count On Is Essential – Sunny and Lupe are BFF goals and proof that having a trusted friend to talk about things like sex and birth control feels great! You can always count on the Own Every Piece community to talk about reprodcutive health and maybe find your next bff!
Plan B is streaming on Hulu. You can watch the trailer here.